The online racing simulator
Want a wheel that...
(23 posts, started )
Want a wheel that...
Has a H shifter, not just a tip tronic but an actuall gear knob, not the G25 though because £200 for a wheel is ridiculous.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#2 - JTbo
I don't think that there is anything cheaper with that level of quality, there can be some cheaper wheel, but I doubt it will be anything worth buying.

You may consider plain h-shifter, that and dfp wheel may have something to consider, cost is perhaps a bit less, but not much. Then if you already have a wheel, that would be best solution.

Edit: thisnameistaken has more than one finger doing typing, my 9 searches too slow
It seems to me that H-shifters are found as expensive add-ons, or as a part of high dollar rigs. You could always wake your own.

A quick search turned up this: http://www.frex.com/gp/shifter/index.htm

If I were to make one, it would be a good bit simpler. The one in the link actually emulated the function of the shift rod as it would raise and lower the forks inside the gearbox. As much as I like the realism, it would be to expensive for me.

Mine would be a set of six switches, one at the backs of each gate. A pair of ball detents to simulate the meshing of synchros. A pair of extension springs to center the handle.

Feel free to steal my idea. :icon23:
Quote from whitey6272 :Has a H shifter, not just a tip tronic but an actuall gear knob, not the G25 though because £200 for a wheel is ridiculous.

plus(!), I heard the G25 doesn't got a H-pattern, (I don't know how to get in between 1 and 3 because I don't own one, but maybe others who own a G25 do know) (hint)
#5 - Jakg
erm - yes it does, you can switch between Sequential (so it just goes up and down) and H-Pattern
Quote from whitey6272 :not the G25 though because £200 for a wheel is ridiculous.

In your oppinion. I was looking for a wheel for about £250 so I think the £180 I paid was quite cheap, especially since my IEMs cost me the same and they're no larger than my little finger. In short, quality costs.
The G25 does have a H pattern. Internally it doesn't look like it, to facilitate being a dual mode shifter but it does the job and feels like one.

Sorry but quality don't come cheap, the Logi setup is the cheapest commerical one you can buy right now. Worth every penny too IMO. If you can't justify forking out the £160 or so, it can be done on the cheap. Pick up a Logitech Wingman FF joystick (£15 on ebay), take the handle off, put a universal fit gearknob on (£10 for a cheap one), use the FFshifter software found on RSC, and bingo you have a pretty nice shifter. For a clutch pick up a cheap wheel like a MS Sidewinder from ebay (Under £10 total normally), and use the pedals for a clutch/handbrake alongside your current ones. If your looking for a main wheel/pedal set as well a DFP can be had for £50 or under these days. So thats £85 to set it up. Or you could double that figure and get a much higher quality setup with 2 year warranty, and a lot better resale value in the long run.
Quote from Jakg :erm - yes it does, you can switch between Sequential (so it just goes up and down) and H-Pattern

So it does got a metal thing which doesn't let the shifter go 'between' 1 and 3?

And is it good quality?
If so, then I will 'lose' €210,-.
#9 - Jakg
(i dont have one, this is from what i've read)

It goes up and down gears just fine! And its the best quality wheel Logitech have made for a long time (Momo Red coming close, though)
Quote from BlakjeKaas :So it does got a metal thing which doesn't let the shifter go 'between' 1 and 3?

And is it good quality?
If so, then I will 'lose' €210,-.

Yes, it does have a real metal H-pattern shifter plate... And I can only speak for myself, but I haven't got any problems with it yet... It feels good quality too, going from cheap plastic wheel to the G25 is just awesome...

It does have some drawbacks/design flaws though, which are covered in the review thread...
Quote from Jakg :(i dont have one, this is from what i've read)

It goes up and down gears just fine! And its the best quality wheel Logitech have made for a long time (Momo Red coming close, though)

Well, it's more about the shifter...

And a Momo Red didn't got a shifter

[EDIT] [NVM]Cause what I read was that it didn't got a metal plate like:
|-|-|
[/NVM][/EDIT]
Don't know though...

I don't got friends who own a G25... So I can't 'just' try it...

If there are positive reactions about the shifter, then I´ll probably buy one...

Because I heard some people having problems with their shifter (reverse)...

EDIT: sorry for jacking the thread though...
I've read of one person who can't get their G25 into reverse. That's quite a minority considering how many racing freaks from this forum bought one.
^^ true...

Ok, I give up...

I will buy a G25...
Not now, not soon, but in a couple of months...
MOMO is ok now...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#14 - CSU1
I dont want a wheel cos the peolple around will think im a donkey ...
BruuuummmBrruUUUUmmm they keep callin me
#15 - Woz
I used to use a DFP + ActLabs Pro Pedals and ActLabs Shifter. The shifter died a while back and I have now replaced the whole lot with a G25.

I would say the ActLabs shifter felt far better for shifting than the G25 one BUT the shifter is $130(ish) on its own. The G25 is far better than then DFP and the ActLabs Pedals though.

The main issue I have with the G25 shifter that in the gate is strange. I dont think the gate guides for the gears come near enough to the central position which can make you miss shift easier than with the ActLabs. Just feels more wolly in the middle of the Y axis.

That said it is a matter of getting used to and after a few evenings it now feels natural. Also now I have tweaked the clutch pedal with DXTweak to make it operate as a real clutch the whole lot feels much better

The G25 really is a great wheel. There are a few minor niggles but it has a great quality feel that lifts it far above the toy like feel that many game wheels have. In the past I have owned the following to compare it against...

MS FF Wheel
Saitek R440
DFP
#16 - Jakg
How much better are the pedals on the G25 compared to those on an ACT Labs set of pedals?
Quote from bbman :Yes, it does have a real metal H-pattern shifter plate...

No it does not. The G25 has an H pattern (and sequential pattern), but it does NOT have an H plate. As "Rtsbasic" mentioned, "Bob Smith" photographed in Logitech G25 - general discussion and I described (same thread one post up), the G25 does use 2 plates with cutout zones to simulate an H-shifter. It's a cheap design, but does the job. However, it has some shortcomings because of the design. One of them is the tendency to get stuck between gears, which is nearly impossible with a real H plate. If you have the Act Labs GPL Shifter at any chance, you'll notice it's WAY smoother to shift - it just has a way better feel to it. It's still not the real thing, but it's a lot closer than the G25's shifter. A disadvantage of the GPL Shifter are the long throws when compared to the G25.

Anyway, don't let that spoil the fun. The G25 is simply the best wheel available in its price class. Although I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the shifter, the shifter is a nice extra which can prove to be great fun and adds to the overall realism.
Quote from Jakg :How much better are the pedals on the G25 compared to those on an ACT Labs set of pedals?

Personally I find the G25's pedals quite an improvement over the Act LabsPerformance Pedals. The most noticable difference is of course the construction quality. The G25's pedal look like indestructible (they can probably break, but they look very sturdy and well made) whereas I have always found the Performance Pedals to be a bit flimsy. I've had 2 broken springs and a brake pedal that broke off! Now, according to Act Labs this had something to do with the used plastic compound and was fixed in later revisions so it may have been early adapter's bad luck. Act Labs support was very helpful, but I haven't heard bad things about Logitech's support either.

The feeling in the Act Labs pedals is actually quite good. Although the springs are nowhere as strong as the G25's, the pedals have a longer travel distance. I would rank the Performance Pedals below the G25, but definitely above the DFP's or MOMO's pedals.
Maybe this is straying off topic a bit, but:

Act Labs Pedals:

+ Much better pedal travel
+ Quicker to get apart
+ Much better pedal positioning for heel/toe
+ Clutch works in more games. Same for the Act Labs shifter
+ Stay in place on wood flooring a lot better
+ Pedal base is bigger, and nicer to rest your left foot on between changes (Rubber instead of plastic IIRC)
+ Spare parts are very readily available and cheap
+ Cable goes straight into back of PC, doesn't need to run over desk
+ Can be modded for adjustable spring tension very easily apparently
- Construction isn't as good (G25's all alloy internals are nice and shiny )
- Pedal base is a less rigid plastic so "creaks" a bit sometimes
- Clutch spring tension isn't as good as G25

G25 Pedals:

+ All alloy construction inc swing arms
+ Better spring tension, once broken in
+ Proper coil type springs
+ Better sealed
+ 2yr warranty
+ Carpet grip system
+ Mount points for frames etc
+ Only 1 USB port for everything
+ Works on PS2 as well as PC (One of my main motivations to switching to G25 in the end)
+ Could make a custom pedal base much easier, each pedal is a self contained unit
- Much less pedal travel
- Spares not available - springs, pedal faces etc
- Have to take pedal faces off to remove the base
- Base moves about more on wood unless you brace it against a wall
- My throttle pedal was loose when it arrived, had to have apart from the word go
- Cable length is a lot shorter
- Cable has to run up to desk, then back down to back of computer
- Smaller base (I guess that'd be a + for some)
- Can't heel/toe as easy

Now I'm used to the G25 pedals I prefer them overall, although the short travel is still annoying as is the positioning - I've had to turn blip on downshift back on.

On the shifter comparision btw, I'd prefer the Act Labs one if it had shorter shifts, wasn't angled on top (feels like driving an SUV when you have it mounted down low), and used a better mounting system. It feels nicer to use, can have a proper gearknob mounted on, and has a real H pattern. No pushdown reverse though, I really like that on the G25's Again I prefer the G25's because it feels better mounted low and the shorter shifts. Feels very loose and not as natural as the AL one though.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Act Labs Pedals:
+ Much better pedal positioning for heel/toe

I forgot to mention this. This definitely an edge over the G25. I'm really having a hard time performing proper heel and toe on the G25 whereas I never had any issues with the Performance Pedals. I might mod my G25's pedals though. I already voided the warranty with my wheel mod so I couldn't care less about the pedals' warranty .
Quote :+ Clutch works in more games. Same for the Act Labs shifter

I think this is just a matter of time. The G25 is still new and it may take some time for game developers to update their older titles. Considering the fact that even a crappy arcade game as Need For Speed: Carbon has full support for the G25, I think the future's looking bright for the G25.
Does anyone have their old Act Labs pedals anymore and want to sell/donate them to me?
#22 - Jakg
Leifde - how much you willing to pay?
SatCP, no doubt more games will support the G25's full capabilities eventually but Act Labs made software that allowed games not designed with clutch/H shifting in mind to work with them. Pretty nifty stuff.

Not that theres a shortage of games supporting G25 already - any Simbin/Blimey title, LFS & NFSC.

Want a wheel that...
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG