The online racing simulator
Quote from RealistAdam :The friends we add to the friends list never appear online. Also the app crashes on its own. This happens in the friends list.

- friends never appearing online: please make sure that if you are on mobile data, you enable the option in the in-app Settings to "Allow update over Mobile Data" in the background. Without that, it will never consume mobile data, meaning you will only see friends status update once on wifi.
Also, friends status update only happens every 15 minutes, and even then, to see the list update you sometimes have to open the friends list again (click "Friends" in side menu). At the bottom, there is a precise date/time when the last status update occured. This should update once you reload the Friends page, every 15 minutes at least. If it does not, you probably are on mobile data but the setting I mentioned was not enabled.
- crash: please describe how you can reproduce the crash (what you did, which buttons you pressed in order, if you had any friends added at that moment, on mobile data/wifi, Android version etc.), and if you get any weird looking error messages when the app crashes, include that here. Would be helpful.

Quote from RealistAdam :I would appreciate it if you add language support. I can do translations for Turkish language support as a volunteer.

Thanks for offering that. Language support is what I intend to do at some point.

First, I refreshed the active servers page. Then, when I went to the friends section, the application closed. Then my phone gave me a notification that the app keeps crashing. Error codes are attached.
Note: My suggestion is to add a renewal feature to the active users section. Because it is not refreshed every 15 minutes. The last update was at 13:12. Updated 7 minutes later. 13:19
Note2: When I checked now, it made another update at 13:20.
Thanks for the error messages, I'll have a look. Friends update might stop happening in background after the app crashed, until it is launched again, so we'll investigate that later, once it is no longer crashing on your side (Im on Android 12, have no crashes and friends list does update regularly).
I am using xioami redmi note 12. My operating system is hyperos 0.0.2.0, the only error I am getting now is that it does not show when my friends are active unless I open the application in the background. Also I have already reported crash bugs. Available in irregular updates. thanks
@RealistAdam:

Could you please try the version attached to this post (0.8.4-fortesting), to see if it still crashes? There were some behaviour changes in newer Android versions which I was not aware of and against which I was not testing properly. Let me know if you still have any crashes (with error messages).
Attached files
lfsstats-0.8.4-fortesting.zip - 2.4 MB - 20 views
(First photo 14:50) My friends list when I log in after updating the application. The update time was the time I last closed the application.

(14:52 second photo) Updated after browsing the tabs in the application. But I closed and opened the application several times.

As for the last photo, I navigated the menus in the application again and updated the list.

I haven't experienced any crashes yet. But there are a few problems. I can't always log in to see if my friends are online on this phone. Therefore, whatever the application infrastructure is, it must now indicate active friends and update the exit time on its own. Because I enter the game while the application is closed. When I close the game and open the application, the time I was last active shows incorrectly or does not show at all. I think we have stopped the crashes for now, but if there is a crash, I will let you know. In the new update, our friends should please determine the hours when the application is active, even if it is closed. Also, when we enter the application, liate is not updated. A refresh button needs to be added. The best feature of this application is the friends list. Also, there are no errors in other menus. very successful.
Friends who can volunteer for language translations, please write under this forum. This application is very successful.
Thanks for confirming that crashes stopped for now, that's great to hear.

The logic behind the automatic updates of friend statuses and when that happens is a bit confusing and definitely needs some rework. For now, here are some facts which might help keeping the friends statuses up to date:
- currently, the status will never be real-time, do not expect it to be (so if you join a server, the status will only update when the next check runs in the background). If you joined a server for a little bit (for like 20 seconds), and during that 20 seconds the app did not do any background checks for statuses, you will not see a correct "last seen" time, it will just show the previous time or stay "never".
- the background task in Android can only happen every 15 minutes, but it should happen every 15 minutes
- the background task is only scheduled to happen if you opened the app at least once since phone boot, and it did not crash, you just exited it normally to use other apps on your phone. This way, it keeps the friends updates running in the background, every 15 minutes.
- the "last seen" time will always show the last time when the check successfully happened and the player status changed from online to offline on that check.
- the friends list can be forced to update by force-closing the app, launching it again, waiting a bit (while it goes through all players, retrieves and updates statuses). You will not see it change real-time, but once it completed, if you select Friends page on the side menu it should be updated, with a very recent time at the bottom.

I fully agree that a refresh button would be great for the Friends page, so you can just click and force it to update. For now, I hope the automatic updates of friends statuses still happens in the background from time to time (I spent some time testing this on my device today, and it did update every 15 minutes. I joined and stayed on a server for 15 minutes and even the notification came to my phone that I'm online in LFS. Later, I left, waited another 15 minutes, so a background check definitely happens, and when I checked in the app I was offline).
I don't receive notifications from my active friends. I added you as a friend now. Can you provide input? for testing. I can't test myself because I'm out.
I closed the application completely. I cleared it in the background. But your login notification did not arrive.
Okay, I joined a server right now, at :34. I will stay on the server. So, my status should be updated before :49 at latest on your phone. Check the Friends list at :50, or if you get a notification then its definitely working.

(Notification: make sure that in Settings you have Notifications turned on AND the tick next to Friend activity is turned on too!)

Ok. The notification came when I entered the application. You were not online when I entered the application. When I clicked on the notification, I saw that it was active. (in friends list)
I know I keep you very busy. I have a question. Do I get notifications when the app is open in the background? Or do notifications come even if it is turned off (removed from the background)?
Quote :The notification came when I entered the application.

Yes, if the app was force-closed (so it no longer runs in background), the checks and notification only come alive when you actually launch the app for the first time.
Quote :You were not online when I entered the application. When I clicked on the notification, I saw that it was active. (in friends list)

Yes, that is the confusing bit, which I described in my previous post. It sometimes does not update the "Friends" page when you are looking at it. Open sidebar menu, and click on Friends (even though you are on that page currently), it should update the list. Needs to be reworked.
Quote :Do I get notifications when the app is open in the background? Or do notifications come even if it is turned off (removed from the background)?

You should get notifications, when the app is kept in background. When you force-close ("remove from background") the app, I'm not sure you get notifications, I have not tested that specifically. I suspect that way it will not send notifications. Although I know many phone users tend to force-close all apps in the background, if you definitely want to get notifications on friends coming online in LFS, I recommend you to not force-close the app (it should not do anything besides the check for friends every 15 minutes, so it should not slow down phone at all).
Update 0.8.4
Fixed a crash, with a minor visual improvement to Friends list.

New version can be downloaded in the attachments of original post.

Please try it out, and as always, if there are any crashes, please post feedback here. I hope you enjoy the update and the app overall.

Changes:

0.8.4 | 06/05/2024

- "Friends" page no longer shows "User offline" below player name (on/offline status is depicted on the right anyways), instead it shows "Last seen: never" or the last seen time.
- FIX: crashed on newer Android versions (12+), crash introduced in 0.8.3

Hello. I waited in the friends list for 15-20 minutes. but it didn't update by itself. so I clicked on active servers from the left menu and hit the refresh button. Then I came to the friends list and the high school was updated. At that moment, your notification came to my screen.

The refresh active servers button may be updating the friends list. Because I have irregular updates. I click that button every now and then. I clicked it and 2 minutes later my list was updated again.

My current version is the latest official version you just released.
Even though the application is running in the background, it does not send notifications. This notification appears on the screen when we enter the application. You already know this. I'm going home now. I will do another detailed test.
Try setting the "Battery saver" setting for this app to "No restriction" (on MIUI). You can do this in "App info" (long-press on app icon - App info, or Settings -> Apps -> LFS Stats), but it can be called some other way as well. The phone usually kills off background activities like this one, and if it does, you will not get notifications. This was the case on my phone, this setting fixed it.
I made that setting when I first stopped the application. It still is. Also, even though the application is closed (it is closed in the background), notifications come. Of course, it takes about 10-15 minutes. I will do a different test now. I will exit the game after I receive the notification. I will check if it saves data.
Thanks Draggo. I thought this was a mistake.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG