The online racing simulator
Toyota Supra MKIV
Just making a thread to expand on some of the development from the Supra I made.

Started out with the external low poly model made by Lexyc16, and a high poly model of the interior made by Pooya_dh

I wanted to try and make a supra that is both accurate, and detailed where it mattered most like the interior, I also wanted to ensure I could allow derivates as that's always want I want to try to strive for, building great cars for others to build on.

To build on it, it needs to be a solid foundation. Making sure that there was no gaps in the mesh, that the groupings are all setup correctly, used some lfs techniques for the window defroster, and window trim with dots (takes forever to map). Took a lot of time in the interior, made the TRD cluster, and textured all the little bits, the supra really shines in the interior as it was one of the goals of the manufacturer of the car.

I wanted to aim for around 50k triangles for the base car, I try to keep a ton of texture space as well, I was aiming for around 2.5mp. That way I can build another car based on this one with a body kit and some other goodies that fit the build. I got the car complete at around 49k triangles without extra pieces, and I had it at 3mp for textures, I bumped up some of the texture sizes to use some of the headroom like cluster, and interior pieces.

I spent a considerable amount of time designing the sound of the 2jz engine, it has a pretty unique sound of deep, but also screams higher rpm. I went through a process of R&D to try and figure out how lfs handles sound on engine waves, to try and align it with a real life example. First I did some research into how the engine sound was developed, which turns out by using a cork sound sample in a loop. I figured that the devs would have designed the sound for lfs around that sample, so starting with a cork sound would yield a good starting point. Went to garageband and found a good cork sample, and recorded it and exported it to audacity. Trimmed to under 65 msec.

I used a spectrum analyzer that could tell me the frequency of what lfs engine was (in the sound editor of lfs, just solo the engine, turbo, and intake) comparing it with a youtube reference. I then played in audacity through about 12 versions of a wav file to try and get the right pitch and length, in the right "waves" in the wav file, so having a peak sound near the beginning, can create a passable rev limiter sound, and fading out near the end can add some softness to the sound, by using a gate and filling out the sample a bit with amplification, can add some volume, but without clipping. Then it was using the spectrum analyzer to see how the lfs sound editor worked with all the sliders. Turns out that I got the best sound from leaving the exhaust pulse tone at 1.00. Interesting relation between Exhaust pulse tone, Unevenness, and Exhaust pipe tone, for instance, using 1.39 Exhaust pulse tone, and 39 Exhaust pipe tone, had some harmonic frequencies around 6k rpm, though not the sound I was going for this build. Just interesting on how lfs does this, I would love to learn more if anyone knows more about this!

I had martin18 help me with the physics which he hit a home run with, the car feels heavy and rolls accordingly. He also created some great setups with it, drifting is great fun with xrt power to weight ratio, race is planted and fun.
Attached images
Sound design.jpg
Tube to mesh.jpg
Tubes.jpg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG